Grants

So I am applying for a grant from Lifesong for Orphans.  This is one of the questions...

The question is, “How has God led you to adopt?” 

This question scares me. What if I don’t give the right answer. What if I don’t come close to having an understandable answer. Let me tell you- I can talk better than I can write, but it’s not about me. It is about God and what He has done. So here it goes.
In June of 2017 our family of 3, Richard, Terri, and Erynne were just an “average family” with no thought of adopting anyone. At the end of June a friend of ours from church, Michele, was blessed to host two cute girls from Ukraine. The church family was asked to donate clothes or anything to the girls as they had come with only the clothes on their backs. I love kids and I love shopping so I went out and purchased a few items for each of the girls.  I gave my donations to Michele and thought that was it. Boy was I wrong!  Later that same evening during youth group at our church, my husband and I were serving food to the teens and the two hosted girls, Nina and Katya come running into the kitchen and lay the biggest hugs on me. I have never been hugged like that!  It was their way of thanking me for the items I bought for them. At that moment I wished I could bring them that happiness for the rest of their lives.
God planted a seed that day. I shrugged it off as me being an emotional person. You see I want to help everyone always.  Well later that night after we were home from Youth group my daughter, Erynne asked if we could talk. She said “Mom, Nina and Katya need a family. Could we adopt them?” Can I just say my girl has a heart as big as Texas! I cried, and cried and cried, not because I was sad, but because God had already told me we would. I let Erynne know I would talk to Dad and let her know what he said. I did not tell her that it was my desire to adopt them and be their mom. That night I prayed. Not just a standard payer but an on my knees fervent kind of prayer. The kind where you can’t really talk you just cry your way through it prayer. I ask God to tell me what to do, how to approach Richard and to use me any way He wanted. At that moment I was completely His for the using. The next evening I spoke to Richard about the girls and how sweet they were and how they needed a forever family and how we could be their family. I was met with a very loud NO!! I calmly asked him to have an open mind and to pray about it. He said he would and we left it at that. Two days later I did bring it back up to him again. (In the mean time I was doing research and asking questions to the host and the sponsor.) You ask why would I research this after my husband said no. Well God had made it very clear to me that we would be adopting these girls. It is now two day later and I went to Richard again and asked if he had prayed about adopting Nina and Katya. He said he had and the answer was still no. I asked why. He couldn’t give me an answer. We talked I shared my prayers and “talks” with God and how I whole heartedly believed this was God’s calling for him and me for us as a family. He let his guard down a little and asked me to get some information (which I already had, knowing he would ask for it). We talked a lot. Adoption is expensive and we had no extra money. I asked if he would be okay talking to our pastors about the possibility. He agreed. I asked him if his “no” was a biblical reason or a selfish reason, he calmly said it was selfish.  He said,”I hate change,” which I already knew.
Well fast forward to August 17.  Lots of praying, lots of meetings with pastors and friends. Lots of conversations between Richard and me and many late nights with Erynne talking about what it would mean for her. On August 17 we went on our yearly camping weekend. The girls’ time was coming to an end here in America and they would soon be on a plane back to Ukraine. The time was now for Richard to make a decision. I had given him gobs and gobs of information. The morning of August 19th sitting around the campfire together as a family, my sweet Erynne asked “Dad, could we please adopt the girls?” Without hesitation (he knew it was coming), Richard said “YES,” a big enthusiastic YES! I cried, but not for long.  There were phone calls to be made!
I have to tell you there was a condition to adoption, that God would provide all the money for said adoption. We had no savings and live check to check like everyone else we know. We do save for retirement and we do have life insurance so I figure we are ahead of the game, right?
On Monday, August 20th Erynne and I were in the car with Nina and Katya.  We were taking them to Six Flags for some fun before the girls returned to Ukraine.  Julia, the girls chaperone and friend called us (Nina, Katya, Erynne and Me). Over speaker phone Julia asked the girls if they would like us to adopt them. There was a scream from both of those girls that let me know YES! The excitement in their young voices was amazing. This was their dream! God was answering their prayer! Up until this point, they had been praying with Michele every day for a forever family.
Since that time God has shown us so much GRACE.  We have had many fundraisers and a GoFundMe page set up. We have had so many delays and so many miracles.  God is faithful. He has provided us with a new home with plenty of space and a wonderful support system. God has raised $31,000 in just over a year for our adoption. We are so close to our goal.  I don’t know if this is the answer you are wanting. We are just obeying God’s calling for us. God is our rock and source of strength. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 127:1